
We stayed in a hotel on the opposite side of the Genesee river from the University. The campus is in a U shape bordered on one side by the river. The campus is TINY in comparison to UT, maybe the size of the 6 pack. Seriously.

The first night we had a happy hour with the grad students and then dinner at an Indian restaurant. I have never had Indian food in a restaurant before (deeksha's mom makes it for me though :)) so it was quite the experience. When we were leaving the restaurant that night, we turned the corner to go to the car and BAM were hit by the coldest air I've ever felt. I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me and been replaced my air that had frozen my insides. Sigh.
Next morning was interview time. The interview went really well..I met with each professor in the Social department for a 30 min interview. I wasn't asked any questions I couldn't answer and didn't fumble all over myself (or puke) so I'd say it was a success. Only downfall of my application is that I only took one semester of stats/research and design. I make up for it though with enthusiasm :)
Took a walking tour of the campus after lunch and a driving tour of the city afterward. Spent some time in a coffee shop that was an old Chevy dealership, and then headed back to the hotel for a freaking NAP. Waking up at 4am on Friday to make it to our 6am flight, and waking up on the hour every hour to make sure I didn't miss my alarm the next night made April a very sleepy girl.
That night there was a dinner with all applicants, faculty and grad students from all psy departments. Thai food was served. Honestly..I don't know why they served Indian and Thai food to people who were obviously going to have nervous stomachs. Jerks.
The dinner was fun though, Ed got to meet the faculty and hang out with the grad students from the night before. Dr. Reis came and spoke with me about all the reasons I should go to Rochester..he didn't try to convince the other people that applied under him that they should go there, so I took this as a good sign.
The trip as a whole was a success I'd say, and if we didn't end up going there it would surely not be because it was cold. Ed and I both got a very elitist sort of vibe..almost everyone went to a small, private liberal arts college and thought very little of Texas except that I must 0wn several horses. I asked if they had any good Mexican food places around (ed was craving breakfast tacos) and they just stared at me. "You mean, like, that Mexicans make? There's a Mike's tacos, it's a step up from Taco Bell. But there's good Polish food."
They were convinced that the other side of the river was the "bad" side of town..but we walked it and could not find anything to make them think this except that it was more diverse than their side of the river. It was really sad.
So we'll see. Ed will hopefully start to hear things back in March and we can actually begin to make some decisions.
For now:
Rejected by UC Santa Barbara
Interviewed at Rochester
Accepted by UT HDFS
Expecting a phone call from UofH..not sure if it's a phone interview or to ask me to come interview, but exciting! That's 4/9 schools.
Enjoy my pictures of snow!
1 comment:
i am so proud of you! this is awesome! thanks for updating and for posting pictures! i love hearing about everything. and i really hope they want you to come down for an interview at uh so you can stay with me! :) yay april!
Post a Comment