Hello loves! Just a short post to let you all know that I did, in fact, make it to Albuquerque to attend my much anticipated conference! It was completely overwhelming and more exhausting that it probably should have been, considering my aching body and sole desire to climb into bed and sleep forever.
Everything went pretty well, no troubles with the travel arrangements, plane or car, and we found the convention center and our bed and breakfast with magnificent ease--I tend to over-plan and had detailed directions and iteneraries :)
The Blue Horse Bed and Breakfast was AMAZING! It was right at the bottom of the mountains, newly established, fireplace in the bedroom, heated tile floor, great gathering space, and the most delicious breakfasts I've yet tasted, nooo joke. I'm a sucker for the pastries and this little lady had to of been a pastry chef in a past life. I'm making a go at peach french toast and apple/cranberry turnovers this weekend, we'll see how it goes!
So the CONFERENCE. I was one of the youngest people there, by far, and for obvious reasons. It consists of doctors and researchers presenting their findings in clusters of related topics that people can wrap their heads around. I went to several talks on romantic relationships, including the one given by the grad student I worked under, Rich. Turns out our study had some pretty amazing findings and a lot of people were interested in it. And Rich, bless him, must have plugged my name in his talk 20 times, and thanked me right after he thanked his graduate adviser. When I went to introduce myself for the remainder of the weekend, it was, "Oh! Rich's research assistant! He thanked you right after his graduate adviser, that's huge!". Needless to say, I owe him big.
Other talks I went to were about religion, self-esteem, relational security, attachment, dyadic analysis, marital satisfaction over the years, and WORRY AND RUMINATION ON PHYSICAL HEALTH--totally applicable to my own life. Did you know that the physical processes we go through by worrying have significantly similar effects on our heart and blood pressure as SMOKING! Never smoked in my life and I'll die at 40 because I am a chronic ruminator. Talk about your wake-up call. As a result, I've decided to actively engage myself in positive psychological mindsets, aka, de-stressing my abused body.
It was a great experience, completely reaffirmed for me that research is what I want to be doing and close relationships is where I want to center it. I met almost EVERY professor that I wanted to apply to work under in graduate school, which was a nice perk.
Only thing I didn't take away from the conference that I went in looking for was a summer/year long internship--hopefully one that pays well :) I'm supposed to email different people this week, so we'll see how it goes. If nothing pans out, I think I might look into the Gender and Sexuality center at UT. I always wished I had the time to volunteer there, and maybe I'll get just that when I graduate.
I'm feeling..meh, 80% now? Poor Ed got sick on our last day there and ended up puking on the plane :/ and is still feeling poorly. I'm trying to nurse him back to health, because I've got items on my wedding list that are NOT getting done! And of course because I love him, wouldn't want him to be ill :)
So..this ended up being not so short, but yay for you if you read through it all! I love you guys and miss you all, even Heather who is in the same city but is just as busy as I. We should make time for each other, we suck ;)
5 comments:
Aww sad face. I miss you! O yeah ps...found out my step dad has the flu...as I head home this weekend...wish me luck!
nice. i really like hearing about all that stuff. you're so insightful. you've pretty much counseled me through my messed up dating habits the last 4 years. (minus 1..brady and me are not messed up) THANK GOD!
feel better and let me know when festivities are happening. lingerie shower? when do you want it? the girls and i will get together and plan it. love you SO FRIGGIN MUCH.
april! for some reason i always want to call you apey but im 100% posiive you will hate that so i havent.. but i might one of these days! i dont know..?
ANYWAY, yay for you! that conference sounds so so fun! thanks for the insight on the worrying - this is something i have recently read about too. i really hope we dont die at forty. think about it: its only going to get worse once we have kids! ah!!!
i hope you made some good connections - you stalk those people! im sure you can get a great job with a little stalking.
i missssss you! i texted you but i think you are asleep so i will try again tomorrow! :)
<3
dang april you are so wonderfully motivated and productive with your psychology self! i'm so proud of you because i'm pretty much the opposite way about anything career related ;) i'm glad to hear you're feeling better, and i'm sad i'm missing out on all your wedding bliss...sigh. love and miss you lady!
april!! i love the blogs! im so happy for you and that you found an AMAZING dress! cant believe it is soooo soon! i cant wait though! im so excited for all of these great things happening for you right now! i could have never made it to that conference, but major kudos to you and ed for going. you are just so motivated and all those things im not. go you! anyways hope all is well in austin. i miss you! keep up that hard work, young lady. muah!
Post a Comment